Saturday, April 18, 2009

Exercise, rest and The Maker's Diet

It's been a rough winter. I've been on and off antibiotics 4 or 5 times and have had almost continual bronchial congestion since November. My appetite has not been good and I've lost more weight. I've missed quite a bit of work as well. I attribute a lot of this to the weather - it started with the fires last fall and the unusually damp winter exacerbated things.

However, I have hopes that things may improve. I joined 24 Hour Fitness about a month ago and have partnered up with a friend from work on a workout schedule. At this point, it is mostly about keeping each other accountable since our body types and goals are different. It is good motivation to actually go if you told someone you'd be there.

I'm on a round of antibiotics again and finish up on Monday. I'm hoping this is my last for at least a while - it is like playing with fire.

I read The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin last weekend. The premise of the book is that we should get back to a natural hunter-gatherer diet, specifically adhering to the dietary guidelines laid forth in Leviticus. Rubin himself found healing from Crohn's disease after 2 years of profound illness and no answers from the medical community and countless alternative medicine practitioners by adopting this diet. I've been following it for about a week and am already noticing a few differences. I'm not expecting to be miraculously healed overnight - it has been a long decline.

I've also been trying to get more rest, which really does help.

No comments: