Thursday, August 31, 2006

College Briefing this weekend

This weekend presents a challenge. I will be attending College Briefing at Forest Home. Since most of these types of places don't serve things like vegetable juice and fresh guacamole, I have gotten a lot of food to take with me and will take my juicer. I have been informed they have a decent salad bar so that should be OK.

I have discovered a few things at Trader Joe's that I really like. The guacamole in a box (Trader Joe's brand) is excellent. I think it's also cheaper than buying an equivalent amount of avocados. This mystifies me, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The fancy Medjool dates are quite tasty too. Organic raspberries are good but they must be eaten quickly or they will mold in the refrigerator. Dried banana chips and apple rings make a great pick-me-up snack in the middle of the afternoon. Larabars are quick and easy and are all raw and natural so they're packed with Omega-3's (since they're high in nuts).

I've become much better about sticking to the diet and taking my supplements. Usually when I eat something wrong, I can tell pretty quickly. Nutritionally empty stuff like pastries and candy bars make me lethargic and sometimes make my stomach feel a bit funny. It's therefore not very rewarding to eat these things because the pleasure is gone as soon as I am done chewing. On the other hand, a blended salad is pretty tasty, and refreshing too.

I'm still working on getting the garage cleaned out to use the weight bench. I should be doing push-ups and sit-ups in the meanwhile, but I haven't established a habit yet. I have found that establishing habits is crucial in the success of my health plan because then it doesn't seem like a chore or extra work - it's just something I do every day. For example, every Sunday evening I prepare all my oatmeal for the week. It doesn't take any longer than it would to prepare one serving, but it saves me the time on the subsequent three nights.

3 comments:

Laura Springer said...

hey, jeff, jj, and i are planning on walking "the hill" to all (most if the knee gives out) to the main gatherings at cb. it's a bear, but an excellent work out. wanna join?

Prib said...

Perhaps. Dr. Fuhrman actually advised against aerobic exercise for me (since I don't need to lose any more weight) but I think I'm up for it - I'll just have to make sure to snack a bunch.

Laura Springer said...

Honestly, my pace may not qualify as "aerobic" except for the desperate gasping near the end.